Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Bread Sauce. Check Out Roast Duck on eBay. Fill Your Cart With Color today! Check Out our Selection & Order Now.
Make gravy with the meat juices if you wish. Stir in the cream to the bread sauce, transfer to a bowl and add a knob of butter. Serve the duck with the cabbage and bread sauce and vegetables.
Check Out Roast Duck on eBay. Fill Your Cart With Color today! Check Out our Selection & Order Now.
Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Bread Sauce is one of the most popular of current trending foods on earth. It’s simple, it’s quick, it tastes yummy. It’s enjoyed by millions daily. They are fine and they look wonderful. Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Bread Sauce is something that I have loved my entire life.
To get started with this particular recipe, we have to first prepare a few components. You can have roast duck with braised red cabbage and bread sauce using 25 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you can achieve it.
The ingredients needed to make Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Bread Sauce:
- Get of whole duck.
- Prepare of nutmeg.
- Take of orange.
- Take of dried sage.
- It’s of olive oil.
- Get of salt, white and black pepper.
- Get of leftover mashed potato (optional).
- Make ready of red cabbage, stem removed and sliced.
- You need of large red onion, peeled and sliced.
- Prepare of apples, peeled and roughly chopped.
- Make ready of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced.
- Make ready of nutmeg, grated.
- You need of ground cinnamon.
- It’s of ground cloves.
- Take of soft brown sugar.
- Make ready of wine vinegar.
- It’s of redcurrant or cranberry sauce.
- Prepare of whole milk.
- Get of butter.
- It’s of onion, peeled and cut in half.
- Take of cloves.
- You need of bayleaf.
- Prepare of white breadcrumbs.
- Take of double cream (optional).
- It’s of salt and white and black pepper.
Pan fry the shallots in a splash of oil until translucent, then add the cabbage and cook for a few more minutes. Duck breast and leg are two very different beasts. While the breast is best slightly rare, the leg needs long slow cooking. By removing the breast part way through cooking you get the best of both worlds and the carving is much easier.
step by step to make Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Bread Sauce:
- The duck and the cabbage take about the same amount of time, and after the first 20 minutes can cook in the same oven. They can also sit a while after being cooked, giving you time to make any accompanying vegetables (like duck-fat roasted potatoes and parsnips) and the bread sauce. So get organised before you begin cooking and prep in advance. Grate the orange zest and nutmeg and mix with a couple of teaspoons of dried sage. Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7..
- I had some leftover mashed potato from the day before, and a classic stuffing for roast duck is potato-based, so I thought I'd try it out, but it's completely optional. I mixed it with some dried sage and white pepper and pushed it into the duck's cavity, together with a peeled onion (also optional)..
- Rub a little olive oil over the duck and then sprinkle the nutmeg, orange and sage mixture over the top. Add lots of black pepper and salt. Place in the preheated oven..
- Now put together the braised cabbage, if you're going to be around you can cook it on the stove top, or cook with the duck once the oven has been turned down. Prepare the cabbage, onion, apples and garlic, and in a small bowl mix together the nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and brown sugar, together with some salt..
- Layer a third of the cabbage in the pan or casserole, add a third of the onions, apple, garlic and sugar and spice mixture..
- Repeat the layers until everything is used up, then pour in the wine vinegar (red or white). Dot the top with butter and cover with a tight fitting lid..
- After 20 minutes in the oven at the high heat the duck will need to have some of the fat drained off into a heatproof bowl. Keep this for roast potatoes. Return the duck to the oven and cook on for another 10 minutes, then drain off the fat again if necessary. You can then add a glass of dry vermouth or white wine, or water if you want to, this stops the roasting pan burning and helps the meat juices collect for gravy..
- Return the duck to the oven and reduce the heat to 180°C/Gas 4. Add the cabbage if you're cooking in the oven, or place the pan on a low heat on the stove top. In a small pan infuse the milk for the bread sauce together with the butter, onion, cloves, bayleaf and black and white pepper. Bring slowly to a simmer, then cover and remove from the heat..
- Go for a walk for an hour and a half..
- When the duck is golden and crispy, and the flesh on the thigh is tender when you pinch it, it's done. It can now sit and rest while you prepare your vegetables, and finish the bread sauce. Drain the milk into a clean pan and discard the onion and flavourings. Add the breadcrumbs to the milk and cook over a low heat, stirring from time to time, for 4–5 minutes, then cover and set aside..
- Add the redcurrant or cranberry sauce to the red cabbage and check the seasoning. Make gravy with the meat juices if you wish. Stir in the cream to the bread sauce, transfer to a bowl and add a knob of butter. Serve the duck with the cabbage and bread sauce and vegetables..
This is a great festive dinner with bread sauce and roast potatoes. Add the stock and boil down slightly. Stir in the cold chopped butter and then the Cointreau. Slice the duck breasts and serve with red cabbage and sauce on serving plates. Place the duck, breast side up, in a roasting tin.
So that’s going to wrap this up for this exceptional food roast duck with braised red cabbage and bread sauce recipe. Thanks so much for your time. I am sure you will make this at home. There is gonna be interesting food at home recipes coming up. Remember to save this page on your browser, and share it to your loved ones, colleague and friends. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!